Tuesday, February 6, 2024

Repotting my lilies

Lilium regale

I grow a small number of trumpet lilies in my own garden.  Becasue they need better drainage than my heavy soil can provide and to provide some protection against my rather rampant snails I grow them in large 35L shrub pots, top dressed with grit.  And now's the time for the annual repotting.

Really it's only a case of removing the grit top dressing, easing the root ball out of the pots and shaving some of the old compost from top, sides and base.  This is then replaced and the bulbs go back in the same pot.  If they get overcrowded I'll split the clumps but that's not needed this year.  The pots are then positioned at the back of borders, partially buried to allow roots to grow outward and reduce the watering needs.  It also provides stability once the lilies are in full growth.  Once the border foliage has grown up the pots are almost hidden and the lilies can display as though they were in the ground.  Feeding and additional watering is also easier.

I do have to watch out for lily beetle, Lilioceris lilii, a scourge - with the snails - of the lily foliage.  Fortunately they're easy to spot and pick off before they significantly damage the leaves or produce their excrement coated larvae.

Lily beetle on lily foliage
Of the lilies I grow Lilium regale is the first to flower in June.  Heavily scented, it perfumes the air for yards around.  This is followed by the equally well scented 'African Queen', 'Golden Splendour'and 'Pink Perfection'. which, with me, all flower in July.

Lilium 'African Queen'

Lilium 'Golden Splendour'

Lilium 'Pink Perfection'

There then follows a gap which I really must fill. Perhaps with one or two of the turkscap lilies which flower in August and September.  What I won't get are the up facing lilies.  I just don't find them attractive.  

Now, where's the nursery brochures - and I'd better get some more shrub tubs ordered.


No comments:

Post a Comment