Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day July 2014

Time again to look at what's in flower in my small Plymouth garden for Garden Bloggers' Bloom day.  So, on July 15th 2014, here's some of what's in bloom.

I illustrated Abutilon 'Patrick Synge' last month and it's now been joined by Abutilon 'Waltz' on the house wall.  This will take a little while longer to build a substantial framework but it's already adding decoration to the rear garden.  Flowering will last for months, an important consideration in a small garden.

Abutilon 'Waltz'


Trachelospermum jasminoides on the wall by the back gate is in full flower now.  Pot grown and supported on a home made bamboo trellis, it scents the air for yards around.

Trachelospermum jasminoides
As does Brugmansia aurea when 4:00 pm rolls around.  Without heated glass I've given up trying to keep these over winter so buy a new plant every year.  I'll not have the mass display of big old plants but even half a dozen of the big trumpet flowers are impressive garden features.

Brugmansia aurea

Red seems to be a prominent feature of the rear garden at this time of year.  Fiery in the case of Crocosmia 'Lucifer', bright scarlet with Hemerocallis 'Berlin Red', orange shaded with Begonia boliviensis 'Bonfire', red and purple with Fuchsia 'Mrs Popple' and an indescribable hue with the English rose 'Summer Song'.
Crocosmia 'Lucifer'

Begonia boliviensis 'Bonfire'
Fuchsia 'Mrs Popple'

Hemerocallis 'Berlin Red'
English rose 'Summer Song'
I should, I suppose, add Salvia microphylla 'Hot Lips' to this group but what the books don't tell you is that the pink and white colouration isn't entirely stable.  It's always illustrated as below but flowers can vary from pure red-pink through to pure white. Hardy here in Plymouth, it flowers for months on end.

Salvia microphylla 'Hot Lips'
Complementing the red and pink flowers are the blues.  I illustrated Convolvulus sabatius last month but its now been joined by Hydrangea 'Blue Wave' and Ceratostigma willmottianum.

Hydrangea 'Blue wave'

Ceratostigma willmottianum
Another hydrangea is deciding whether to turn blue or stay a sort of purple-red.  Sold to me as 'Midnight Blue' it's actually the black stemmed hydrangea 'Nigra'.  I'm not that impressed.  It's a gawky thing, only the new growth has black stems and, unlike my 'MMe Emile Mouillere', flowers on overwintered buds rather than new growth so doesn't have the same long season impact in a small garden.

Hydrangea macrophylla 'Nigra'
Passiflora caerulea  popped open the first flower of the season a few days ago but there are none open today so I can't include it.  August or September, perhaps.  There's loads of fat buds. 

Lower down I've still got orange and yellow forms of Meconopsis cambrica in flower, a few hardy geraniums and various other odds and ends. 

And a bowl full of orange African marigolds in the centre of the garden table.  I'll leave you with a glimpse of it overlooking the rear garden.

Part of the rear garden, July 2014

As ever, my thanks to May Dreams Gardens for hosting the Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day meme.  Head over there to see what's flowering in many more gardens round the world. 

2 comments:

  1. Well hello to another passionate gardener,

    What a beautiful bevy of blossoms you're sharing via May Dreams Garden. I am a huge fan of the Begonia 'Bonfire' but was in the hospital the whole month of May (par for the course as a quadriplegic gardener) and my garden centre was out of it when I was ready to plant.

    'Lucifer' never fail to disappoint in impact but haven't had the nerves to grow it as its at the edge of its hardiness level here in Kansas.

    I'd be honored if you visited my blog to see my first GBBD post only five years in the making with a truly unique backstory,

    Best,

    Patrick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Patrick

      Thanks for visiting. I'm looking forward to returning the compliment.

      With me Begonia 'Bonfire' is hardy(ish), That is, it survives unprotected in a large pot under the south facing house wall in the rear garden. It's now on it's third season and is getting pretty large with masses of flowers. Definitely a favourite!

      Delete