Tuesday, June 14, 2022

How fast do Dicksonia antartica tree ferns grow in the UK - 2022 update

Triggered by a timely comment on an earlier post I've decided to do an update on my tree fern growth saga.  In previous postings I've catalogued the growth rate of a Dicksonia antarctica tree fern.  Bought as a baby fern - no trunk, just a few fronds - in an end of season sale at a local garden centre, it cost me the princely sum of £2 in 2002. 

Twenty years on it's grown a little:


It now stands at 62in / 154cm of trunk from ground level to the point where  the new fronds sprout.  I feel that growth is slowing down a little bit as it is now in almost full sun with the attendant risk of drying of the root mass that forms the trunk.  Even so, it's added another 8.5in / 21cm in three years.  It gets no special attention other than watering the trunk in the driest times of the year and removing excess growth of ivy which I allow to provide some insulation against dessication.  Using a wide angle lens may exaggerate the perspective a little but it still dominates my little pool garden.

All in all, a good investment!.

2 comments:

  1. A fine specimen. Thank you for the update and I hope you'll post more gardening tidbits. I do wonder whether here in the Midlands DA growth may not be quite as fast as on the milder south coast. I'll let you know in 2042!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete